The Kid and friends somewhere near Lenape, Chester County, Pennsylvania, 1950


Total Pageviews Since June 2009

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

White Paper


                                                You write a white paper
And ask if I recall
The years that have left us
So different and all.

I remember paper mill lined years
In the factory town of Downing.
I got names. Wonder where they went?
I got crying, shouting, sermons, clowning.

I remember a girl, ringlets and curls,
A closed-minded, mousey little rodent
Whose father ran over some young child?

I remember the carnival rumble, locals hurling
Black coals at all the carny people? They ended the fair,
Replacing it with smoky smog and deadness.

I remember the kid in the flood swept through the water pipes,
The swirling stream wasted the red cover of her books?

I remember climbing the loose-graveled Raymond Rock?
Top two feet, hung in fear, with ground deserting,
Grinding my teeth and swallowing, gripping like a lock
And never allowing a cry of panicked help go blurting.

Hmmm! The haunted house where the old German farmer
Got burned out by a hooded committee of God-fearing Americans,
Where we went in innocence never knowing the clan existed?
And afterward wondering if it could happen here again.

I remember we were going to be rich, set the world afire,
Be he who made good in the art field with cluttered canvas,
Enough so you won the school prize with the product of your desire,
But giving it all up, like me, fifty years ago. Damn us!

Sure, I remember those green years flavored peppermint
Down in the town where the factories were in Downing.



No comments:

Site meter