The Kid and friends somewhere near Lenape, Chester County, Pennsylvania, 1950


Total Pageviews Since June 2009

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

To Stanley Stein or Swampland Barless Prison Blues


You have me in a cave as to save from the grave
YOU from my infection,
Because of a pale blemish that’s diminished the finish
Of my complexion.
I don’t know why this land to a man wants to ban
Me, a tainted fixation.

And don’t call me that word anymore, you’ve
Given me swampland barless prison blues.

You won’t allow me a wife or a life in the strife
Of my growing pockery.
And you put me down in the ground away from town
Under guard, lock and key,
Then you turn tail and run and you shun me, and son,
YOU call this democracy?

And don’t call me that word any more, you’ve
Given me swampland barless prison blues.

And your preachers preach the gospel
And they turn the people rather hostile
Then they collect for the hospital.
YOU call that Christianity?

And every gift that you give me
Is sterilized just to rib me
While you say you want to live. Gee!
YOU do that unanimously.
 
Then YOU wash your hands off
After waving me to please stand off.
After you’ve burned all the land off
YOU leave me anonymously.

While YOU go back home with your own all alone
Whispering where you’ve been,
Then YOU gasp at the rot at this spot and allow how
We aren’t owning much skin.
After which you sit back and get slack with a snack and
Go back asleep again.

And don’t call me that word any more, you’ve
Given me swampland barless prison blues.






Photograph of Stanley Stein from the International Leprosy Association

No comments:

Site meter