The Kid and friends somewhere near Lenape, Chester County, Pennsylvania, 1950


Total Pageviews Since June 2009

Monday, August 25, 2008

When I Was Alone

WHEN I WAS ALONE

 

Just the other night, I was walking by myself

And I was talking to myself

And thus I lost my way.

 

I was alone and it began to rain.

I was alone and down it came.

I could hear the howling of a mourning dog.

I stood in the rain

And I searched throughout my brain

Until everything became clear.

 

I stood wet and red,

Shoe-deep in a mud bed,

And I thought the thoughts.

 

There I was alone, with no one to call.

There I was alone, with no one to hold.

It was somehow those things were gone

That belonged to me.

 

It can’t go on.

 

There’s a darkness in my sky

And the sun’s nowhere in flight.

It might rain all day

And I may rain all night.

 

I shouted out very loud

For it not to go away.

 

DON’T!

 

I looked back up to the sky,

And of course, it had turned gray,

And at the end of that day

I went back home

 

Alone.

When I was by myself,

Sitting with the dust of the window shelf,

I decided nowhere on Earth

Was there a crowded place for me. 

No comments:

Site meter