The Kid and friends somewhere near Lenape, Chester County, Pennsylvania, 1950


Total Pageviews Since June 2009

Monday, August 25, 2008

A Regret

A REGRET

 

 

 

I regret I cannot be free

From what in school were good morals.

I regret it’s not the way to be

When you are in love with girls.

 

It isn’t really true that the girl respects a guy

Who doesn’t steal a kiss right after the first date.

It isn’t best to act shy. There is no truth to this.

Not any of these things is true.

They are just plain silly,

Superstitious willy-nilly.

It is, oh, so much more fun

To try and steal just one on that very first date.

 

But wait, how am I to know?

I have never tried it.

My conscience ordered “No!”

 

Why, when I first see one, then I can’t even say”

“Hello, how do you do?”

Without first having someone to introduce

Her properly to me.

 

I remember our old guidance class and prune-faced old

Mrs. Snodgrass.  I can still see that face.  Her lips

Without a trace of ever smiling, her with a ruler in

Her hand, her repeating to the class every rule of

Etiquette.  Now when I am old enough to go on dates,

I am absolutely as a loss as to what it is I might do.

 

On my first date I wanted to kiss her.

This is strictly taboo.

Yes, I know,

It must be positively ‘no, sir!”

But all I can conclude

After time and time again:

I should just take a kiss.

I’m sure Rock Hudson would.

First, or not, he’d persist

To kiss and kiss and this

Is very wrong, yes wrong.”

 

I don’t care the least bit

If it’s right or it’s wrong.

It’s better than to sit and be bored to death.

It is quite scar making

Having to do the asking,

Like I was taught in school.

And I regret it.

No comments:

Site meter