The Kid and friends somewhere near Lenape, Chester County, Pennsylvania, 1950


Total Pageviews Since June 2009

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Baby, it's Cold Outside

It's been cold the last few days. Not just here, but all across the country. We're not as bad as bad as some places. Tempetiture has been in the teens with single digit wind chill factors. Right now it is a comparable balmy 27 degrees outside. The first day of winter asserted itself this year, sort saying, "Global Warming? Hey God's in control of the weather, not Al Gore!"

Growing up it seemed to get this cold a lot. We used to have some snow in November and often by December there would be a white cover ground that would stay that way until sometime in March. It was on one of those days back then I wrote this parody.

WITHER WONDERLAND
 1959 (age 17)


Wind is blowin’,
Hear it hissing.
In the land,
Snow is glistening.
Oh, what a plight,
I’ll be blue tonight
From walking in a winter wonderland.

Broken down in the blue car***.
Here to stay is a new scar.
My feet are gray,
Near froze away.
From walking in a winter wonderland.

In the meadow,
You may find a snowman.
Brush it off,
It could be me.
With this snow so heavy
I can’t hardly see.
Later on, I’ll expire –
Fall into the briar.
I’ll lie there in pain.
My body will be maimed
From walking in a winter wonderland.


***I had a Royal Blue 1954 Ford at the time.

From:   Poetry Reading
Twenty-Six Poems
OJR
Agnes Manser, Sponcer
Pottstown, Pa.
1959

In the Collection, "Early in the Mourning"  (Poems 1954-1959)  Yes, that is my wife on the cover again. 

2 comments:

thekingpin68 said...

'Hey God's in control of the weather, not Al Gore!"'

I agree. I am also all for cleaning up the environment as much as possible, but that movement was going on when I was a toddler in the 1970s.

'Baby it's cold outside', reminds me of that Tom Jones song and the open shirt and chains earlier in his career as well...ahhh.:(

Merry Christmas,

Russ:)

nutuba said...

I enjoyed the poem / song, Larry!

Thanks for clearing up the misconception, too, that some people have about God and Al Gore being one and the same.

I'll certainly sleep better tonight. :-)

I hope you have a Merry Christmas!
Joel

Site meter